23 Things I've Learned in Two Years.
Two years ago for my 21st birthday, I posted a blog about the 21 things I’ve learned in 21 years. I was scared as heck posting that because it is so personal to me but I still told everyone on social media to read it. It turned out to be a great way to self-reflect and I'm really proud of myself for posting that. In the last two years, I've been through some things - some good, some bad, and some uglies. And I'm grateful for them all. So here I am at 23, I made another list of things I have learned.
1. Yes, you're an adult and you can afford to go on these fun trips. But you still need to let your parents know even if they are spontaneous trips. Tell them about all your plans, even if you have to make one up. (lol sorry mom)
2. You’ll never be good enough for the wrong person even when you’re at your absolute best.
3. Pay more attention to your thoughts because what you’re thinking is what you’re attracting.
4. Couch surfing is a scary but awesome way to travel and meet people. Being an introvert, the thought of meeting new people scares the heck out of me but I travel alone a lot, so it has helped me get out of my comfort zone and get me more outgoing/open with new people.
5. Sometimes, working hard DOES NOT mean working smart and effectively.
6. Not everyone’s going to like you or your work and that is perfectly okay!
7. You don’t have to stay friends with people just because you’ve been friends since kindergarten or middle school. If it’s time to grow apart, it's okay.
8. Sometimes the greatest act of loving someone is letting them go to give them a better opportunity to be who they are.
9. A meme says a thousand words.
10. Drink a lot of water. A LOT. Drink at least like 4 gallons a day. Hydration is so important, people!!
11. Take care of your mind and body. I try to meditate every morning before I get ready for the day, do more yoga, go climbing, etc.
12. Your grandparents don’t have a lot of time left. Hang out with them every chance you get.
13. But, hang out with little kids too. They make your days a little brighter and sometimes they give the best advice.
14. There’s no such thing as the “I’ve made it!” moment. Don’t be complacent, you want to keep reaching for bigger and better goals!
15. The phrase “early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable,” has helped me be punctual for (almost) everything.
16. The golden rule "treat others as you would want to be treated," doesn't always work out. Not every person you care about is going to care about you in the same way. Don't expect anything in return.
17. Community over competition, ESPECIALLY in the creative industry. It is SO important that you never stop learning from each other.
18. Always have snacks in your purse/bag. You'll never know when you get lost in the middle of nowhere and your car decides to stop working and you have to wait for an hour for AAA to pick you up. And you get hungry..
19. Make a playlist for everything. It actually helps with productivity and music influences your mood dramatically! If anyone is interested in my Spotify playlists: https://open.spotify.com/user/1223291024?si=sg82wgzKTt-kAyTf4K__9A
20. Garlic salt goes with EVERYTHING. I put it on avocado toasts, pasta, noodles, soups, all the foods.
21. A mellow night in with your close friends over a crazy night out. I never had a fake ID so when I finally turned 21, it was a thrill. The thrill didn't last long. Going out gets reaaaaaaaaally old (and expensive) and you magically just turn into this grandma when you turn 22.
22. Hopeful feelings keep you up at night and they make you feel sick when you’re perfectly healthy. And sometimes they lie. Write down all your thoughts before you go to bed if you really have to.
23. It's okay to say no. You don't have to say yes to everything to keep everyone happy.